Wednesday, November 14, 2007

A Day at the Bank!

Today, I was going to Kovan to set up a computer program. On the way, I passed by a bank and I decided to withdraw some money from the ATM. After I got the money, I realized that I could do a cash card refund as the card was expiring. My cash card was also an ATM card. I went to join the main queue in the bank. I waited for about 15 minutes before I was served. When I showed the counter staff or the cashier my card and told her about my intention, she immediately told me to go to counter 6.

As directed, I went over to counter 6 which looked like an Inquiry Counter. The counter staff was serving a lady who had absentmindedly left her $500 at the ATM machine after withdrawing it. She told the staff that it was not her first time and she anxiously would like to know whether the machine had "taken" the money back. The staff politely advised the lady that she had no idea as she had never encountered such a problem before. They talked for quite awhile and the queue started to become longer. Finally, the staff showed the lady the report she had written for her and got her to sign for it. The lady still lingered at the counter, turning her bag upside down to make sure she did not "absentmindedly" put the money in her bag. The man behind the lady immediately asked the staff about his query. Then, it was finally my turn after a long wait. She told me to fill up the form, which I already did. But I told her the form was meant for the normal cash card and not my "special card"! She realized it and gave it a queue number. She pointed to another part of the bank with a few cubicles. Oh my! I had to wait for my TURN again! I sat down on a chair and in front of me was a man talking to another staff about his problem. They were pointing to a piece of paper and the man was trying to tell the staff that there was no need to open another investment account as he was just renewing his contract or some sort. It was another long wait ...

I got tired of waiting, so I decided to tell the staff at the inquiry counter that I was not going to wait any longer. She kindly told me that I was the next one, but I had waited for more than 20 minutes and it was still not my turn! She then advised me to join the main queue. I told I came from the main queue and now she asked me to join the main queue AGAIN! She took me back to the first counter staff and told her to serve me after the current customer. What! I thought she could not process my refund. Finally, I realized that she did not know the procedure for the refund. She asked a senior staff and she also did not know how. Then, I saw the senior staff in jacket left the bank with another staff, probably for her break. The counter staff took my identity card and disappeared from the counter! After awhile, she came back with a more senior staff - probably the manager.

Finally, there was someone who knew how to process my refund. She issued me with a new ATM card while keeping my old card. I never like going to the bank because of the long queue. I enjoy my banking online.

No comments: