Friday, July 6, 2007

Fifth Day of ICT

Five days of ICT have passed. I can say time really passes by so fast that you may not aware. Today, I did not do much as I had already taken the PKE. Well, no news means good news. So if the OLTC did not "say" anything, it probably means I have passed the PKE. Yeah...!!!

Another test is waiting for me... That is the IPPT (Individual Physical Proficiency Test). It is similar to NAPFA test that is taken in schools and institutions, except that the Sit-and-Reach section is taken off. You may want to ask why? Well, who can do pass the Sit-and-Reach test with a tummy? Haha! Oh, the test will be conducted in Lim Chu Kang Camp II - a faraway place in the western part of Singapore. It is situated just opposite Lim Chu Kang Chinese Cemetery and it is next to Tengah Airbase.

Sorry, I could not show you any photographs of my ICT as we are not allowed to bring in any camera phone into the camp.

Last evening, one of my good pupils handed me four Maths questions and asked me to help her solve them. Well, I actually asked two of my comrades to solve them. The first question was a little tough as it dealed with speed with only the time taken given, and they could not solve it even after one and a half hour. So, I guided one of them and he managed to come up with the solution using algebraic equations. Not too bad though! The other one gave up half way and dozed off! Haha!

After work, in the late afternoon, I took the questions back to her place. (I shall not mention her name - to "protect" her. Hehe!) The first question was quite tough, so I showed her an example with a similar question and solution. After that, she was able to do it on her own without any help. Bravo! Then, I got her to do the remaining three questions. I pointed out to her about the quantity that was unchanged throughout the two questions, and she was able to solve them right away using her own method. But I still taught her the Unitary method which was much easier to solve that particular type of question. Of course, it is also possible to use the Model Method to solve that type of questions, but it will be a little tedious as you need to "cut" the "units" into smaller "parts". She told me that there was no need to "cut" as writing the "number of parts" in the "units" will be sufficient. Maybe that is more efficient, in a way. :)

Later, her daddy came back from his work. We had a good chat talking about his army times. We also compared the times he did his basic training and my times as a recruit. Interestingly, he wore the very old type of uniform which was plain light green in colour - just like the uniform which the NCC (National Cadet Corps) used to have. He had completed his thirteen cycles of ICT at the age of 33 in 1995. That was also the time when a "black" baby was born into the family! Haha! It was quite an memorable time for him.

Got to rest now... Bye!

No comments: